Driving and International Travel Requirements

International travel

Traveling internationally can be confusing and the rules can vary whether you are travelling officially or for personal reasons.

In order to help US travelers, the Department of Defense maintains a website called the Electronic Foreign Clearance Guide (EFCG) which includes the travel regulations and restrictions for virtually every country around the world. Readers are encouraged to visit this website periodically to view new updates (click here for the latest updates).

You can review the recent changes to the various entry and driving requirements for Austria, France and Switzerland in this Country Updates to DOD Foreign Service Travel Guide. You are strongly advised to review it before traveling, especially for official travel.

International licenses

DoD employees assigned to Camp Darby and their dependents are eligible for a SETAF license which, in conjunction with your U.S. license, entitles you to drive in Italy. For information on getting a SETAF license, please contact the DOL Driver Testing office at DSN 633-8161. The SETAF license is valid ONLY in NATO countries (this does not include Switzerland or Austria). Also, the rules can vary based on official or unofficial travel and whether you are civilian or military. Although some countries will accept your SETAF license or even a U.S. license, you are strongly encouraged to get an international driving permit (IDPs). IDPs are honored in more than 150 countries outside the U.S. For more information on applying for an international license, contact the DOL Driver Testing office at DSN 633-8161. Additional information can be found on the Travel State (US Department of State) home page.

Road regulations

The road signs and rules are similar in most European countries, but you should always review the laws before driving in that country. Small differences in right of way or other laws can mean the difference between driving safely and getting into an accident. In Italy, if you use the highway ("autostrada" in italian), you pay-as-you-go with a system of toll booths. Some countries use a Vignette. The Vignette is a sticker travelers in that country must purchase and place on the windshield to be able to use the "Autostrada system". After crossing the border, you will see signs indicating that a vignette is needed. These can usually be purchased near the borders at gas stations, tobacco shops, border crossings and other locations. Donít drive without one Ė the fines are heavy.

Additional information:
    Italian Driving Laws basic information
    Italian Driving Signs

Entry requirements

When crossing the border into European Union countries, you will not typically go through a border checkpoint. Regardless, you should always bring your passport and visa or soggiorno (Italian resident permit) with you while traveling.

Please aware that dome countries will not accept military ID cards in lieu of a passport. Keep in mind that Switzerland and several of the Balkan countries are not in the European Union. Requirements can vary based on whether you are traveling officially or for personal reasons and whether you are a service member or civilian.

Additional information:
    European Union Members